Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ingenious genius

     Well, yeah - I do consider myself a genius - at least some sort of a genius - a combination of the intelligence I acquired in Pres (PRES FOREVER - prayers forever) plus the innate God given talent of  'figuring things out back to working order'.
     So herein lies one of the problems - my transmission shifter was stuck in park. No details will be provided as to why it got stuck in park , but needless to say, that situation could be one's worst nightmare. Well as it turns out, (after some internet research - which means exposure to the experience of others) I was quickly able to zero in on the culprit - a stuck, rusted out BTSI actuator (pontiac coil 5176231) aka shifter interlock. After checking out the patent with schematics from the inventor, it appeared that there was no way that the central rod in the device could slide freely and easily to allow movement of the transmission shifter.
    Well, after removal, the two obvious options at this point were either to repair or replace the device. Removing wasn't too hard of a challenge, it was located just left of the steering column near the floor just where the transmission cable is attached. The device is actually coupled with the cable via a steering column brace. It is supposed to stay locked in place and prevent inadvertent motion of the cable when the brakes are not depressed. So after removing the 4 steering column brace screws, and disconnecting the power connector, I was able to uncouple the actuator from the transmission cable. It was completely jammed probably from all the rust inside the hard plastic casing. I was able to take the device apart and separate the electromagnet from the rod.
Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Actuator - Pontiac Coil 5176231
The plunger in the electromagnet was stuck and the rod in the plastic casing was stuck also despite repeat trials of WD40 and a file.

Solution - replacement.

So next stop - on to a junk yard - repeat the same steps in another LeSabre. As you can see below, the rod slides in and out unlike my old rusted out BTSI. (BTW, this was a steal for $6.)


Stay tuned for another exciting adventure in the world of an ingenius genius doing what others get paid to do - for a hobby?

3 comments:

  1. Got the part from the junkyard (a tinkerer's heaven) next step to reverse the steps it took to remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That same part number Pontiac Coil Inc. #5176231 is used for a part that looks NOTHING like what is shone in your pictures. I just replaced the console shifting assembly in my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. About 75% of the time for the from Jan 1-12 to June 26-12, I was unable to remove the key from the ignition. It would rotate back to where if it would move just "one more minute on a watch" it would then come out. The good new is that almost all of the electrical system was shut off, except for keeping that coil alive. It would drain my new batt in 5 days with out use.

    Anyway, in this configuration, the shifting rod sets right on top of the "Solenoid Coil" of the same part that we are both talking about. Everything I read said just replace the coil. Took it to the dealer, they confirmed that the coil was bad. But GM protocol demands that the entire console floor shifting assembly be replaced. After $600.00, I now have my old parts back. THE ONLY REASON THAT THE SOLENOID COULD NOT BE REPLACED ALONE, is that it is held in place with three rivets. Drill them out in less than one minute and you can slide the replacement part #5176231 and fasten it in with proper size bolts or machine screws. The part sells for less than $45.00 new. And I'm guessing less than $10 at a junk yard. My Solenoid only has a place where a wire harness can attach, a manual release and the ability to tell the computer what position the shift handle is in. In my case, the spring would not force the "trigger" that you pull with your shifting fingers to return to the full "up" position, therefore it would not let the key come out of the ignition. Little Wd-40 and this thing is perfect. Anyone need it, they can have the whole thing for $75 sknopster@gmail.com (you pay shipping) Lansing Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it turned out I was able to send the unit that I had, as well as several other units that people were sending me to help ensure that they got into the correct hands of people that needed them. This is a quasi-scam created by a manufacturers to ensure that they could sell $650 assemblies which actually cost somewhere around $60 total!! It really bothers me when brand name manufacturers go to this extreme to scalp their loyal customers. So anytime I have the chance to provide perfectly good used parts and simply cover my cost... That is what I will do! sknopster@gmail.com

      Delete